A warm welcome to all is extended from the Governors' of St James CE (VC) Primary Academy.
Being a Governor
Governors are one of the largest volunteer groups in the country and have an important part to play in raising school standards. The role of the governing body is key to the effectiveness of a school. Ofsted has noted that the most effective schools demonstrate effective leadership and management which include the governing body.
What do governors do?
The role of the governing body is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the principal (a critical friend)
We are always seeking the support of foundation governors for our academy who will ensure that the Christian values and distinctiveness is promoted and maintained as well as securing high quality education and opportunities.
A strong, well-led governing body, supportive of the school, its teachers and its mission makes an important contribution to the school's wellbeing and effectiveness. The foundation governors will have an especial care for the school's Christian character.
Foundation governors in Church schools are those appointed by the Church authorities. Often in Anglican schools the incumbent of the parish will be a member of the governing body, by virtue of his/her office - this is called an ex officio governor.
Register of Interests: When a new governor is appointed, they are required to fill in a form for disclosure of any business pecuniary interests. At the beginning of each governing body meeting, governors are asked to declare if they have any interests in the topics being discussed which could affect their viewpoint.
The Governors at St James CE Primary Academy are:
- Chair - Alan White - Foundation and SEND Governor
- Vice Chair - Reverend Jan Waterfield - Safeguarding and SIAMS
- Ettore Zanin - Co-opted Governor - Health and Safety
- Sue Evans - Co-opted Governor
- Richard Larkin - Co-opted Governor and Pupil Premium
- Jan Pitt - Parent Governor - Safeguarding
- Paula Giles - Parent Governor
- Lisa Blades - Associate Governor
- Johanna Nickolls – Foundation Governor and CECET representative
- Chris Dobson - Principal
If you would like to know more about becoming a school governor please contact Paula Lloyd: firstname.lastname@example.org